Monday, November 22, 2010

Rosie Goes to NY!!!

bead embroidery by Robin Atkins, Rosie The Uncaged Hen, detail
Rosie, The Uncaged Hen, is currently visiting NY, hobnobbing with other bodacious bead art, more than 80 pieces by well-known bead artists from around the country. If you're looking for something really special to do this week, go to the North Country Cultural Center for the Arts in Plattsburg, NY!!! Their exhibition of Contemporary Bead Art opened on November 6th and closes quite soon, on Nov. 29th.

I feel very pleased and honored to have been invited to exhibit my bead art in this show. Included are 11 of my pieces:
  • Forgive, Release and Believe, three of my Bead Journal Project pieces for this year.
  • Madrona and Aqua, two beaded, spirit dolls that are about environmental issues.
  • Beadlust, the beaded-quilted wall-hanging, part of which is shown on my blog header.
  • Blessings, a small, hand-made, hand-bound book with beaded covers.
  • Rabbit Journal and Earth Journal, two hand made books with bead embroidery inset into the cover or pages.
  • Marriage Bag, the beaded bag I made while trying to decide if I had sufficient commitment to get married.
  • Rosie, The Uncaged Hen, a sculptural piece, cover-girl for the wonderful book, 500 Beaded Objects.

bead embroidery by Robin ATkins, Marriage BagMarriage Bag

bead embroidery handmade book by Robin Atkins, Earth JournalEarth Journal

beaded spirit doll by Robin Atkins, MadronaMadrona

beaded spirit doll by Robin Atkins, AquaAqua

Beadlust

Other bead artists represented in the show include Diana Grygo (The Lone Beader), Wendy Ellsworth, Laura McCabe, Marcia Decoster, Carol Perrenoud, Laura Willits, Carol Berry, Huib Petersen and more. This is not a group to be taken lightly... Rosie's privilidged to be out there with the best of the best! Here's a review from the local newspaper.

Wish I could have gone to the opening, or even just to see the show. (Waaaa) If you're able to get there before the exhibition closes, please leave a comment and let me know what you thought of it.

18 comments:

  1. Kogut przecudowny a nimfa? przeurocza. Po prostu świetne!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is just far too cool, Robin! But then, we all know just how special and wonderful EVERYTHING you make is. So glad many other folks will know soon, too.

    Kathy V in NM

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Robin, congratulations what an accomplishment! Would you please advise me on what you usually use to back your fabric before you start beading to stabilize?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi, Robin! I took about 70 photographs of the exhibit and have started publishing them here on the About.com Beadwork site:
    http://beadwork.about.com/od/beadworkgalleries/ig/Contemporary-Bead-Art-Exhibit/index.htm

    I'll have more up later this week, and I hope to get back again to take some more photos! Congratulations, beautiful work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm so happy I get to see Rosie's photo everyday, thanks to your give away of a couple years ago. I know the exhibit goers will like her, too. Congratulations. I wish I could attend the show.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a wonderful collection of bead artists and I'm so glad your work was included! Wish we could have both gone!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congratulations, Robyn! Looking at all of these lovelies, especially Rosie, I have realized, once again, that you have a masterful way with color. Such an inspiration! Must get back to being creative!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hooray for Rosie...hope she traveled with designer luggage... So nice to see you posting again...I miss the BJP but still having problems with headaches and double vision from the accident last summer...hopefully it will eventually disappear.... Wish I could see your exhibit...

    Gerry K.
    Spokane

    ReplyDelete
  9. How funny! I have the 500 Beaded Objects book and look through it often for inspiration and I've read your blog for a while now too, but never realized that you had made Rosie. She's BEAUTIFUL! You are a very talented lady!
    Cenya

    ReplyDelete
  10. So good for Rosie to go on a trip, she is my favourite piece of yours. She always gets a smile on my face. I hope one day to meet her in person.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congratulation! I admire your work very much.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hooray for you, Robin!!! So exciting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Robin, best wishes from Robyn in Australia - Rosie goes to NY sounds like a book title to me or maybe an animated film using your chicken, think about it! When I decided to take my love of beads more seriously I did a 5 day workshop where I came across your books. What a window opened in my creative soul! I am a huge fan and follow your blog and hope to join the Bead Journal project for 2011. You deserve this recognition.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Inspiring stuff!! makes me want to go get my needle thread and beads right now! but I have cooking to do...have a lovely Thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm happy for Rosie and for you my friend. I hope that everything is back on track and you're up to some new challenges in 2011!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What an amazing collection to contribute! WOW! WOW! WOW!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Congratulations & well deserved! Wish I were in NY so I could see it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I loved seeing Rosie in person. That piece makes me so happy! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for joining the discussion on this post today!