Tuesday, June 20, 2006

How to Make
Beaded Buttons
(part 2)
~
Please see Part #1 for the first steps in making a beaded button.
~

how to make beaded buttons by Robin Atkins, bead artist

Cut both paper and fabric around the outside circle.

how to make beaded buttons by Robin Atkins, bead artist


Moisten the outer edge of paper slightly, and tear it away. Do not try to remove the paper from under your stitches.

how to make beaded buttons by Robin Atkins, bead artist


Sew a small running stitch around the outside edge of the fabric.

how to make beaded buttons by Robin Atkins, bead artist


Pull the running stitch and gather the fabric into a cup. Place the button form inside the cupped fabric. Pull the stitches tight and knot to secure the fabric around the button form. Then snap the back on the button. Voila!

beaded button by Robin Atkins, bead artist

beaded button by Robin Atkins, bead artist

Here are a couple more beaded buttons I've made recently. They're a grand project to do during meetings or while watching a movie on TV...

8 comments:

  1. Thank you for this tutorial. Since I don't know about the beading part I guess I'll have to buy Beaded Embellishment, too! I'm so looking forward to One Bead at a Time.

    I've been working on a little beading project. You have inspired me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I've just discovered your work and your blog and I wanted to say that I find your stuff incredibly inspirational! I will be back a lot in the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your kind words! The faces came from http://stores.ebay.com/Winkelen
    and she always has lovely stuff. And if you do an Ebay search of face cabs there are other gorgeous ones there too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comments! Janet, you'll do fine making beaded buttons... you already know a lot about bead embroidery, and you'll learn more from One Bead at a Time. Beaded Embellishment is a good book, yeah, but you don't NEED it to make beaded buttons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your beaded buttons are so fun & funky:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Robin, I've been to your blog and website A LOT and I just wanted to tell you how awesome I think you and your work are...Truly inspirational! Thanks for all of your wonderful tutorials. I've been beading most of my life but mostly more traditional Native American beaded jewelry, pens, lighters and etc. Now I'm having fun learning more about crazy quilting and more artsy types of beading and am thoroughly enjoying it. My friends and relatives didn't know what to think at first but they do like it and maybe it'll catch on at the rez! :) (I'm Mdewakanton Dakota from MN.) I've wanted a few of your books but haven't been able to order them yet but soon I hope! Thanks again for all of the inspiration!!!
    Hugs, Lin

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Robin, My first love has always been embroidery until I found your blog and now I am doing bead embroidery.....Its fantastic ! I adore all your works of art, they're wonderful! Thank you for giving me a new direction !
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxx
    http://ellascraftcreations.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Robin, thank you for the lovely comment and Yes, I have started one today and shall post it on my blog tomorrow.....But I have a lot to learn !!
    hugs
    chris richards
    xxxx

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for joining the discussion on this post today!