Sunday, October 31, 2010

I Still Adore Beading!

hot springs, Yellowstone National Pk
The above picture is my tribute to Halloween night, when witches boil their brew, its bubbling sulfurous stench a warning to all who might venture near. Actually a hot springs in Yellowstone, it didn't smell all that bad, thanks to a slight breeze blowing away from me. I'm recently back home after a 3-week solo road trip to Minnesota, where I happily spent quality time with my mother, who is approaching her 94th birthday, two of my brothers and their families and a couple of beady friends.

Driving a total of 4,126 miles by myself was an interesting part of the experience, partly because I took time to make side trips, such as to Yellowstone, and partly because it gave me a boost of confidence, a return to decades ago when I fearlessly (almost) set off on long hikes, drives and trips abroad. Having not done anything like that since hooking up with my husband 13 years ago, the thought of setting out alone was a little daunting, yet at the same time exhilarating. Now safely back home, I give the experience a 5 star rating!

Before leaving, much of my time was devoted to making and finishing two quilts, one as a graduation gift for my niece and one a baby quilt for my nephew's first born son. I took the quilts with me to Minnesota so I could deliver them in person.

baby quilt by Robin Atkins
Here's the baby quilt. A section of it pinned for quilting, below, shows the colors better and also a few of the darling animals in the batik fabric I used for the log cabin centers.

detail, baby quilt by Robin Atkin

Andy, Sunny and baby August seemed to like it quite well!

my nephew looking at the new quilt

Here's the quilt I made for Margaret, my niece in celebration of her getting a Master's Degree from the University of Minnesota. Each of the pictures marks a special time or occasion in her life. It was a great hit with her!

quilt made by Robin Atkins

Driving, visiting, quilting... little time remaining for beading in the past month and a half. Never worry for a second, though, I'll be back! Yep, I'm nearly finished with September's BJP and will soon be starting October's piece. Plan to catch up by the end of November and be back on track with beading AND blogging.

Happy Halloween, everybody... have a very beady November!

16 comments:

  1. I LOVE those quilts! They turned out beautifully. After all your travels, I'm sure sitting down to beadwork must feel wonderful. I'm looking forward to seeing the new pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  2. can I be your niece?
    Stunning quilts..the detail..little animals and all the pictures of the life of your niece....you're a loving woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Anonymous5:20 AM

    So good to see you back, and those quilts are exquisite! Sometimes we all must take a necessary vacation from the usual. Your solitary journey is an inspiration to me!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad to see that you're back! I was just wondering about you. I haven't touched my beads in quite a while either, but I'm still more behind than you are. LOL!

    Lovely log cabins! Isn't it nice to just retreat into machine stitching sometimes?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely quilts, so glad you are back after having a break. Your blog is the first one my eye lights on when I open my computer so I look forward to hearing more about your trip

    ReplyDelete
  6. How lucky your family is to receive those beautiful quilts!

    I know exactly what you mean about that special feeling of being on a hike alone that we just fear to do any more. I've found some great books on Solo trips for women that I've read over the last few years. I've yet to do one, other than my twice annual trek from CA to WA and back, but that I do as fast as I can in 2 days. I'm thinking the fact that I've bought and read those books and after reading your post I should actually plan an adventure alone. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow!! The quilts are fab. You are so multi talented!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your quilts are beautiful, Robin! I especially love the baby quilt... love those colors.

    Aren't road trips fun? Alone or with someone, it really opens your eyes to so many things. Glad yours turned out well... that's a LONG drive.

    ReplyDelete
  9. So nice to see your post! Your trip sounds marvelous. You may not have been beading lately but your hands have certainly been busy creating beauty. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I remember meeting you at the Twin Cities Bead Bazaar when you were there a year ago? It was great to meet you, and you were very kind to come up to my table and survey it. It meant a lot! Hope your mother is doing well.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Soooooo great to see a Beadlust post once again!!! I've missed you around these parts but most definitely understand all the reasons why...anyway, WELCOME BACK, traveler and seeker!!!!!!!!

    These photos do not do the least bit of justice to your quilts. Since I was so fortunate to see your niece's quilt *up close & personal* at the Fair, I can say this with huge enthusiasm! Lovely to see it in place on her bed, in its new home :>D

    Bead on, Robin dear!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can relate to your pre-trip feelings a bit Robin. I'm getting ready to head up to Connecticut by car for six days and five nights all by my lonesome. I can't even remember going on a solo trip...it might have been 20 years or so when I lived in Japan...

    Love the love behind your quilts and glad your journey was a five star event.

    Happy beading and being to you, dear friend...Susan

    ReplyDelete
  13. I am sooo looking forward to stating the BJP for 2011. I thank you for bringing to to my attention and think its is a lovely idea to challenge yourself and really get to know your own creative potential.
    Analisa

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Robin! I was thrilled to take a peek at some of your work in Plattsburgh, NY. Love the wedding bag! Also, thanks for throwing my name out there. It was a bit of a drive for me, but it's an honour to do the show! :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice hearing from you. Take care. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Great to catch up on your doings, Robin...nice quilts, too!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for joining the discussion on this post today!