Tuesday, April 01, 2014

Donkey Tale - Update

You may recall my friend, Donkeyoti,


and my story here about how she went from a not so good home
to a good one near to where I live now,
where I could walk to visit her and give her carrots.


Three weeks ago, I learned her owner was moving to Montana, 
and looking for someone to take Donkeyoti.
Not again.
I wonder how many new owners she's had,
how many times she's had to adjust to a new home?

Then she was gone, moved to Orcas Island.
Fortunately, I was able to get her new owner's name.

So today, Robert and I got on the interisland ferry,
and went to see her new digs.
  

As soon as she recognized my voice, she ran to the fence,
smiling (as only a donkey can smile),


nuzzling me,


accepting sweet words of praise and skritches all over her head.
We are pals, both of us so happy to be together again.


Then her new keeper came out to talk with us,
about how clever and full of personality Donkeyoti is,
and how quickly she's learning verbal commands. 

It was hard to leave, knowing I won't visit her nearly as often.
But I could see her new keeper already has a great relationship with her
and is providing a good home. She is in good hands.

* * * * * * * 

detail wool applique quilt by Sue Spargo

Did you miss this post?
Mighty fun wool applique, embroidery, folk-art designs by Sue Spargo!

Maybe I could do a portrait quilt of Donkeyoti
using Sue's stitches and techniques!?!

18 comments:

  1. Do the Donkey! How fun that would be. Thanks for the update on D. I'm glad you know she has a great home and her new keeper loves her. Yes, you should pay tribute to your friendship with a work of art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Carol! Also thanks for the word "keeper". I like it better than "owner," and am going to edit the text of the post right now :>)

      Delete
  2. Oh I want to see you do the donkey whether in felt or beads or quilting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm going to try. Felt AND beads!

      Delete
  3. Glad to hear she has a good home...what a relief...and that you'll be able to visit her sometimes. I too look forward to seeing the portrait of her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for the update on Donkeyoti. I just love that name! I'm glad she has gone to a good new keeper and home, and hope this will be her forever home until it's her time to leave this planet. I loved seeing that photo of you and her and she has her eyes closed and is most definitely smiling.

    Have a great week ~ FlowerLady

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it's her forever home too. For a bright, friendly, curious animal like her adapts to one home after another must be difficult. She certainly was happy to see me, and much more demonstrative than she was before, even when it was a week or two between visits.

      Delete
  5. Don, if I may call her that, is so adorable. Her name is so funny! I have never been up close to a donkey before. I didn't know they could be so lovable. I think donkey...I think kicking me. lol Thanks for sharing. She is lucky to have a nice new owner...but most of all she still has you. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope you'll get the chance someday... I don't know if all donkeys are as sweet and personable as Donkeyoti. She's the first I've befriended. I like most animals and seem to be able to win their trust easily. But she is top of the list for special ones.

      Delete
  6. Yes, Robin, a portrait quilt would be perfect to round up this story-in-instalments! Thank you for sharing this heartwarming development of Donkeyoti's biography.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Portrait quilt is on the list... thanks for the encouragement, Sabine! I'm going to try to make it somewhat abstract, showing her personality more than her realistic appearance. But hopefully she'll still be recognizable as a donkey.

      Delete
  7. GO FOR IT, Robin, cuz Donkeyoti ROCKS & there's no doubt you will do her proud! Super news about her swell Orcas digs [looks like she's got a nice big space to roam] & super good excuse, too, for more motorcycle rides over there ... win-win-win I'd say ;>]]

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. AND... she only lives about 4 miles from the ferry. I can ride my bicycle to town, hop on the ferry with it, and ride out to see her!!! Nice jaunt, wouldn't you say?! And yes, it is a nice big space, bigger, more open, and sunnier than her most recent home on SJI. There's even another donkey living on a property two down the road from her. Other than being farther from me, I'm thinking this is her best home of the three, although her last owner clearly loved her.

      Delete
  8. I definitely remember the story you shared about Donkeyoti. I'm so glad to read she now has a home where she is loved, and I, too, hope it's a forever home. She is so blessed... the healing power of Love. It touches me... I'm smiling for her!

    I look forward to seeing what you create as a tribute to her remarkable story. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the encouragement, Retta... It's next on my project list :)

      Delete
  9. I am so happy that your sweet donkey friend found a good home and it's so great that you will be able to visit her from time to time. I think a portrait quilt is a fantastic way to honor your friendship with Donkeyoti. I too look forward to seeing what you create because I know it will be fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm happy to hear the latest chapter in the Donkey story. When I read the commenter that said "Do the Donkey.." I imagined us all doing a Donkey dance. Whatever that would look like! Perhaps you can illustrate her dancing!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks you for joining the discussion on this post today!